Monday, June 28, 2010

Finally Taste-ing!!!


Ahhhhh.... Back at the Taste of Chicago and BJ's Market & Bakery!

Was held up on the airplane in Houston due to some undisclosed maintenance issue, so lost a couple hours, but I have finally arrived!!! Adding insult to injury, however, the airplane food (even in 1st class) upset my tummy - NOT the way to start at Taste. So I did my best to recover and took it a LITTLE light for my first evening.

I heard they had great attendance on opening day Friday, but the pace has been pretty slow since then. The "down economy" just keeps taking its toll every direction you turn. Nonetheless, we will take advantage of the smaller crowds by venturing out and visiting as many vendors as we can while the lines are short. I expect, down economy or not, lines WILL get longer as we approach the holiday weekend.

So, there can't be much better way to start ANY visit to Chicago than with PIZZA! My first Taste stop just had to be Lou Malnati's for a flavorful sausage slice of Chicago style (deep dish for those who aren't connoisseurs) pizza. And, from past experience, the "Taste-iest" way to get your roughage at the festival is Lou's chopped salad with just the right mix of Romaine, tomato, olives, feta, bacon bits,... in a light and mild dressing that must be their own creation. It is DEEEE-lish!

Since I arrived late and with questionable digestive status, pizza and salad was the only gastric delight I planned to have on my first outing. BUT THEN,....

My niece, Brianna, had to come sit her overflowing plate of crispy sweet potato chips from BJ's Market & Bakery next to me. She must have noticed my longing glance. She told me I could have some - just the temptation I couldn't refuse! So I nibbled on just a few perfectly crisp, nicely cinnamon and sugar spiced chips. MMM..mmm! Had to keep it to just a few, though. The week is still young.

Meanwhile, my sister, Hope, and Brianna acquired a boat of pot stickers from the Star of Siam booth next door. They were both quite satisfied with this time-tested favorite. I Taste-d just a corner. Pot stickers aren't really my thing, but I must admit, the sauce was more than worth the nibble....

Back at the BJ's Market booth, I found my brother-in-law, John Meyer (chef extraordinaire and owner of BJ's) working doggedly - HA! (He's the one reclined on the right.)
To be fair, he was just taking advantage of the lull in the crowds, as were we....

We took a few more strolls around the festival to scope out the offerings and begin plotting the rest of the week's culinary escapades. Every time I would comment, " ooo, THAT sounds good!" in reaction to menu item postings, Hope would ask if I wanted to try it. I kept responding that "I have to pace myself!" and made a mental note of where I'd be returning later in the week....

That pretty much covers MY 1st day at the 30th Annual Taste of Chicago. I DID have one last indulgence. It got cool in the evening, for which I was unprepared in my short sleeves. (After leaving 95 deg. and 95% humidity in Houston, it didn't take long for the refreshment of 8o deg. to transform into the goosebumps of 70 deg!) So, since I was quite chilled and forced to stay until the end, I figured a nice boat of warm BJ's peach cobbler would be just the thing to help me stay comfortable! Sorry, was too busy spooning and moaning in pleasure to snap a photo, but I have 5 more days.....

No comments:

Post a Comment